Sunday, June 7, 2009

"Did he 'latch on'?"

As asked by one of our good friends Drew last night- Yes, he did latch on! It was quite funny to hear the question from a guy.. and especially one that is not the least bit interested in children or babies. It did excite me however b/c I realized people must be reading this thing and they do care. So- Yes, Saturday evening he did latch on. It was our first attempt and he did great. The lactation nurse said he had a very strong suck for a 32 week old. She said a lot of the sucking reflex isn't developed until 34 weeks. So, praise the Lord! I do only attribute this to the fact that I am assuming so many of you prayed that specific prayer. So thank you. It was a very encouraging experience!

Also, they weighed him last night and he was back up to his birth weight- Woo Hoo! That was pretty fast for a premie. They have moved him from the NICU unit to the NICU family room. It is a small room between the unit and labor and delivery. They usually move babies there when they are about to go home (which we aren't) but the unit was getting too crowded. He is a very stable baby- meaning nothing is "wrong" with him he was just early. They call him a "feeder and grower" b/c all he has to do now is feed and grow. There are only 6 babies in this room and the parents are free to care for their child as they choose. We now have complete freedom to get him out of his box when we choose. That is so so nice! They have also changed his incubator to air control. So, his box is like our house where the AC is set and he is trying to manage his body temp fit the air instead of monitoring the air to fit him.

Also Grandma and Grandpa Bob got to visit yesterday. It was much more encouraging for them to see Beau looking so... normal. It was quite an emotional scene meeting him the first day he was born hooked up to so many machines.

Thank you all for keeping update. I am going to try to feed him again one time today, so keep praying. Seriously though- THANK YOU and Praise the Lord!

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you were able to feed him and that he continues to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God! I am so glad Becky. God is so good isn't he! We owe him everything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait a minute! I forgot or did you tell me that you were pregnant! Oh, Becky, wow! I wish we could have been praying for you but we ARE on board now and will begin to pray for growth and strength. We love you guys (4) and praise God for His hand, as you point out, in all of this. Please know that if there is anything we can do for you we will. Take care and give all three boys a kiss for me! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah for baby Beau!! Now we will just keep praying that he continues to grow big and strong so that he can come home quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praise God! I am so excited that he continues to do well. He is such a little fighter- just like his big brother. I can't wait to see him again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky, I'm glad to hear everything is going well! We are thinking of you and your family! Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete