If ever there was a blog I never thought I would write, this would be it. It seems my last few topics have been awareness themed.... Are you gluten intolerant? How have the feminist affects you? This one will be the worst. That's your warning to X out.
It has been raised to my attention (thank you friends) that there is a new educational initiatve in America called "common core state standards". This is their mission statement:
The Common Core State Standards provide a consistent, clear understanding of what students are expected to learn, so teachers and parents know what they need to do to help them. The standards are designed to be robust and relevant to the real world, reflecting the knowledge and skills that our young people need for success in college and careers. With American students fully prepared for the future, our communities will be best positioned to compete successfully in the global economy.
Sounds harmless right? You can decide. I am trying to write this piece as scholarly and accuratley as possible, however, I encourage you to do your own research. Here are some basics on common core:
The standards are currently on the subjects of math and English language arts. You can follow the above link and read each grade K-12 and see what you think.
The initiative is being deemed state led and voluntary because the National Governor's Association developed it. The truth however, is that it was part of the 2009 $4.35 billion stimulus package entitled Race for the Top. If states wanted to qualify for this education grant money they agreed to adopt the common core standards, which hadn't even been written at the time.
Only two states, Alaska and Texas, refused to apply for the grant. This is a fantastic quote from Rick Perry, Govenor of Texas,
“Texas is on the right path toward improved education, and we would be foolish and irresponsible to place our children’s future in the hands of unelected bureaucrats and special interest groups thousands of miles away in Washington, virtually eliminating parents’ participation in their children’s education,” Gov. Perry said. “If Washington were truly concerned about funding education with solutions that match local challenges, they would make the money available to states with no strings attached.”
Looks like somebody could see between the smoke and mirrors.
It is probable that you have never heard of Common Core. I say that because neither of Brian nor my parents had and we consider them all to be well informed citizens. Our generation is definitely a little lacking when it comes to politics and staying abreast on current events. Don't be offended, lol. Thus the point of the blog. As a parent whose child was enrolled in public school slated to begin in less than one month I feel as if I must warn you too. You can take this and make your own decision. For our family...... It is very unlikely that unless this is repealed, we won't be using the public school system for our offspring unless of course we move to Texas. Now if you have heard me run my mouth on school opinions you would know what a big deal this is. To quote my father, I am now "eating crow".
It's hard to write without a bias and I am tired of backspacing so this is the end of the scholarly part and I am going to tell you what Brian and I have a problem with in regards to common core. You can be pro common core and that is fine. I am totally okay with that, I just want to spread the word..... Or Becky's version of it lol.
1. More government is never better. Need I say more?
2. We have abolished the rights of parents and the local school board when it comes to content. It IS decided already. We cannot complain to teachers, principals, or local school board members. They have no power anymore. The content was written and is published. The end.
3. As part of a seperate stimulus money states agreed to launch a state longitudal data system in the name of improving student learning.
"
Better decisions require better information. This principle lies at the heart of the Statewide Longitudinal Data Systems (SLDS) Grant Program. Through grants and a growing range of services and resources, the program has helped propel the successful design, development, implementation, and expansion of K12 and P-20W (early learning through the workforce) longitudinal data systems." http://nces.ed.gov/programs/slds/
North Dakota accepted $10.6 million and Oklahoma accepted $4.9 million. This is also know as data mining which is a what would you say... Hidden part of the common core. It has been very hard to determine the facts here but basically they have created a system where they can collect up to 400 data points per year per child to keep in this database for necessary and research purposes. There is a very long document called "Promoting Grit, Tenacity, and Perseverance:
Critical Factors for Success in the 21st Century". I have linked it below:
The document describes how and why we need more data on students.
I put these links up because it is hard to tell what is fact and what is fiction. Some say
that the data points will include birthmark locations, blood types, family incomes, sexual abuse history, school bus stops, homework timelyness, and other things the school doesn't need to know.
The really alarming part is that the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation are funding research on tools to gather data better. Here is a picture of what they are studying to convert to classrooms.
Note: these are not currently in your school, but they are being researched. I don't know why the pics won't work but they are on pg 62 of the document.
So what is the big deal? Well beside the fact that it is none of their business, who is going to have this info? It can be given to 3rd parties without your consent. Who would want it? Well if you have records that track a student from preschool to age 20 you can probably predict if they will be a good employee or not. You could even do some head hunting. Students will be peg holed at 3rd grade and slated for a career. It is part of the progressive movement where individuals don't know best so companies and the government will decide for them.
Even if all this is all a load of crap I have more reasons.
4. There is a sex Ed part if the common core. This is a direct quote from National Sexuality Education Standards brief,
The National Sexuality Education Standards were further
informed by the work of the CDC’s Health Education Curric-
ulum Analysis Tool (HECAT)3; existing state and internation-
al education standards that include sexual health content;
the Guidelines for Comprehensive Sexuality Education:
Kindergarten – 12th Grade4; and the Common Core State
Standards for English Language Arts and Mathematics5,
recently adopted by most states.
AKA: this is a part of common core. Third thru 5th graders will be taught and tested on these principles: Define sexual
orientation as
the romantic
attraction of an
individual to
someone of the
same gender or a
different gender. Describe male
and female
reproductive
systems including
body parts and
their functions. Describe the process
of human
reproduction . Define HIV and
identify some
age appropriate
methods of
transmission,
as well as ways
to prevent
transmission
The end of 8th grade students will be tested on these concepts: Define
emergency
contraception
and its use
Are you freaking kidding me?
Lastly, what I would consider still none of their business for 12th graders ( mind you I left sooooo many out):
Describe the steps
to using a condom
correctly
Our kids don't need to be tested on this. It is my job, not the government's to teach sex Ed. I know this isn't a new concept but I'm not handing over control. I can handle evolution and setting them straight in that area. I cannot handle them being taught any of the above. This IS in the schools. This IS a part of common core for 45 of the United States!
5. They changed how they are teaching math... Everyday math is what I think it's called. You add the tens columns and then the ones. Also you won't reach calculus in high school. The goal is to prep people for community college. That's fine and all but I'm not going to lie when I say I'm going to push my boys to excel in education so they can provide for their families. My grandfather didn't finish 8th grade and was very successful but that's a lot harder to accomplish these days. I truly believe that a lot of Brian's success today is from his hard work throughout his education. Reaping and sowing. I am so thankful for that!
It's hard to write all this without getting in a tissy. It makes me angry and it makes Brian angry. Most believe we have one year to repeal but the more I read the less hope I have. I would keep writing as this is only skimming the surface, but Benny is awake now. Please look into it for yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment