I know for most of you summer is still in full swing, but for us we know it will quickly be coming to an end. Some mornings and evenings you can feel the fall breeze settling in. It is nice b/c fall is our favorite season, BUT NOT IN AUGUST! The other morning when Brian went to work it was 48 degrees! That was a shocker. Anyhow, so we have been as active as possible to soak up all our time outside before the snow comes.
North Dakota is made up of a lot of Eastern European immigrants. My dad says our family is from Texas and that is pretty much the end of the story. These people though, are very into their heritage. So, on Saturday we went to the "Northern Outpost Ethnic Food Festival". Yummy! It was located at this museum/park where they have relocated several old buildings. A school house from 1917 and a home from 1912, a railroad station, and a church. Baker found it very interesting.
Then, each "country" had their own little food stand. The Czechs were selling chicken noodle soup and kolaches, the Norwegians were selling Scandinavian waffles. We had sausage on a stick and fry bread (see pic) made by the Germans from Russia, who inconsequently could not tell me what a German from Russia was. Hmmmm....
We also tried cheese buttons, which are HUGE up here. By far the dominating culture is Ukrainian. We even have a Ukrainian Cultural Institute in town. The cheese buttons were not so great. They were stuffed with potato, cheese, and sauerkraut. You can see that they don't even look good. Anyways, it was really fun to try and be there with some of the townspeople.
You'll have to see the next blog to the rest of our adventuresome Saturday.
I love what you're calling "cheese buttons". I've always called them Ukranian dumplings and the ones I've eaten have also contained some ground meat. Russian families used to bring the occasional panful to the school where I worked as librarian. The teachers--not an adventurous eater in the lot--wouldn't even try them. I was happy...more for me!
ReplyDelete