I am going to begin what hopefully will be a series of blogs from our trip to Oklahoma. It has been a while, but I really don't want to skip over them.
We arrived in Tulsa late on a Thursday night where Brian's parents picked us up from the airport. As soon as we walked out of the airport Brian and I noticed the smell of water. I asked if it had just rained or if it was about to and they said no to both. I thought hmmm... It was such a strong smell, we both noticed it and then concluded it was just humidity. It is very dry in ND, very dry and immediately we could just smell the water in the air- is that crazy or what? It happened the next several times we walked outside- it would just hit us like a wall.
Then on Friday morning I went to a play date so I could catch up with my old friends. It was so nice to see everybody and how all the babies had changed. They grow up fast. Brian went fishing with his dad and Ryan on his family's land, which is what he probably misses the most about Oklahoma. Tulsa was so beautiful. ND is just now having "spring" and there aren't as many beautiful colors and blooms as Tulsa. It is a beautiful city and I think we took that for granted when we lived there.
Then on Friday night we went to the wedding of an old college friend. Someone we were both friends with individually, before we even dated. He played the piano in our wedding and we all just hung out in the same group so we were just happy the timing could work out where we could attend. This was the most fun I had while I was in Tulsa. All of our college friends (minus Jeff and Laurel b/c they live in Oman-boo and Anne) were there and it was so refreshing! We had lots of people to talk to and lots to talk about. We were a part of Young Life in college and basically that is where we met and spent all our time and where our friendships formed. It is a super fun group and you always have fun when the group gets together.
I sorta talked about this when I blogged about my girls weekend in Dallas, but its so nice to escape motherhood to a place where people you are just Becky Barton and Brian Young. Don't get me wrong, I like Becky Young, I am saying that they just see us as 2 of their old friends, not parents or big job holders or whatever you know? Some people didn't even believe that we had 2 kids! Anyways, minus Anne, I was with a group of girls that I shared A LOT with in college. They too have seen me at my absolute worst, oh poor them. Anyways- I hadn't talked to Kelli or Macy in quite a while but it was like we never skipped a beat. And of course Leah's beau was there so we had lots of fun with that situation. So, this YL group, they are like major dancers. In college my roommates and I used to dance in the kitchen to "Slow Motion" or at least I think that is the song. Oh I laugh just thinking about it but dancing was a HUGE part of college and so to be with my dance friends again was awesome. Of course, I am not so cool anymore and I didn't know most of the songs they were all singing along to but it was still a blast. I love to dance!!!!!!! Brian doesn't quite share my passion, but he still had a lot of fun.
Afterwards some of us went to Cabana at like 1am, which you know I mean Taco Cabana b/c we hung out there ALL the time eating tortillas and drinking coke, well I had Dr. Pepper. For those of you who know Drew, but b/c he lives in Tulsa not b/c of OU, he was a part of the Cabana group. His friends were the cool older guys that we liked to hang out with and do random things that sometimes involved the police. Oh we had lots of fun.
Anyways, it was so refreshing to see my old friends.
LOVE THIS!!! "Slow motion for me, slow motion for me..." That song always kicked it off... I wonder if I still have that roommate CD?
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that I got to see you and spend time with you guys. I miss you bunches. I don't know how I didn't get in any pictures... Jacob and I forgot our camera at home. :( Sad day!