Thursday, April 1, 2010

Girl's Weekend

This is us our senior year. We had a lot of fun in high school, and we obeyed the rules too, it wasn't like bad fun. Anyways, you can see how happy we were and how much we loved each other.
pictured: Kaci, Jessica, Sarah, me, and Adrina


This is us today, at a restaurant in Dallas.
pictured above: Sarah, Kaci, me, Jessica, and Adrina


Well my trip to Dallas was great, fantastic actually. The timing was perfect for this season of life. Last year when I went I was pregnant with Beau and it was the longest I had been away from Baker. When you are pregnant you are just a little off your game and when you aren't used to leaving your kid your are a bit emotional. This time I wasn't pregnant or emotional, even though it was the first time I had EVER left Beau. I don't know if it's because he is the second child or b/c my lack of margin in ND left me eager for me time. I was very excited. Its is sorta like when we went on the cruise, it had the potential to be the best vacation ever, but I was so sad b/c I missed Baker and a pregnant stomach didn't go well with the rocking ship. I felt great this weekend though. I was so happy just to see the sun. Might have something to do with the age 2, I don't know.

I don't know where most of you stand when it comes to long term friendships but there is just this automatic comfort that my friends and I slip into. The amount of time since we have spoken or seen each other is irrelevent. We are immediately able to jump into our comfort zone, it is so nice. Especially leaving a place where you are trying to make friends so you are on your guard not to scare anyone off. These girls have seen me at my absolute worst. We are all fully known and there is nothing to hide... although there probably should be! Some of us have known each other longer, but collectivly we have been a group of friends since 6th grade. That is a long freaking time! Especially considering the changing we have all done.

We just talked a lot and ate good food and went shopping. It was so much fun. We also had a mini surprise baby shower for Sarah. She is having a boy in July. We got her a car seat and it was great. She was so surprised and even more grateful. Christina was unable to make it b/c she is being deployed to Guam soon, so we missed her. And then of course we had to watch Twilight, see if I could hook them as well. I think it worked!

Anyways, I returned home and everyone was still alive. Brian survived and in the end I think he was even having fun. He is a much better parent than I am. I couldn't have anticipated how nice a break from motherhood would be. I kept no one alive this weekend. I fed no one. I dressed no one. No one hit me or pulled my hair or climbed on me or spit on me. I didn't have to wipe anyone's nose or their butt for that matter. I was only responsible for me. I am sure this is very encouraging for my friend's considering never reproducing, so don't get me wrong. I love my kids, but margin is absolutely necessary!

1 comment:

  1. What Fun! I'm so glad you took some time for YOU! It definitely makes you a better Mom, wife, and woman- good for you!

    ReplyDelete